Carbon Monoxide the silent killer

Carbon monoxide is winter’s freezing cold “silent killer.” People die and dozens more are sickened traced to lethal levels of carbon monoxide. This tragedy can be prevented by installing inexpensive carbon monoxide detectors in the home and workplace. 

Carbon monoxide kills an average of 430 Americans each year (not including fires) and sickens many others.  Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas undetectable to the human senses, so people don’t realize that they are being exposed.  Products that are typically involved in poisonings include malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas.

Symptoms range from headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness to confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination and loss of consciousness.  Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen slowly or swiftly depending on circumstances. California Poison Control, in an effort to raise public awareness, offers 10 tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

1. Have all heating equipment installed properly, and have the home’s heating system inspected by a professional prior to turning the heat on when cold weather begins.
2. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in all homes, apartments and workplaces.  When a detector goes off, assume that a real danger is present, and get all people and pets out of the structure immediately.  Do not re-enter until a heating professional, gas company or fire department has declared the area safe. 
3. During home renovations, ensure that appliance vents and chimneys are not blocked by tarps or debris. Make sure appliances are in proper working order when renovations are complete.
4. Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. Doing so blocks the combustion air flow through the appliance and can produce carbon monoxide.
5. Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent unless it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space and provides instructions for safe use in such an area.
6. In climates with snow, make sure that chimneys and vents do not become blocked with snowfall. 
7. Never operate a portable generator or any other gasoline engine-powered tool either in or near an enclosed space such as a garage, house or other building, or outside of an open window.  Keep the generator as far from the house as possible.
8. Do not use charcoal or hibachi grills indoors to cook with or for heat under any circumstances.
9. Do not attempt to heat your home by turning on the oven or clothes dryer and leaving the door open.
10. Never let a car engine run inside a closed space such as a garage.  Drive out promptly after starting the car, and turn the car engine off as soon as you drive into an enclosed space. Never have a garage door closed with a running vehicle inside, even for a few seconds.

About CPCS
You can learn more about a variety of poison issues by following CPCS on Facebook and on Twitter.  Sign up for weekly safety text messages to your cell phone by texting TIPS or PUNTOS for Spanish to 69866; and download a free app at Choose Your Poison.  CPCS is dedicated to providing the most up-to-date information and 24-hour help in case of poisoning. In case of an accidental poisoning, consumers should immediately call poison control’s 1-800-222-1222 good in every state for advice. Specially trained staff members are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Experts are available to answer non-emergency question at any time as well.

© Everything Changes http://www.mistymorgan.net I received a free product to help facilitate this review. The opinions expressed in this review are mine and unbiased. For more information please see my disclosure policy located in the PR section of this site.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s