With October being dental hygiene month it’s common to consider how much TLC we give our pearly whites; we brush our teeth every morning, try to floss every day (we aren’t judging…), and do our best to change our toothbrushes every three months. But according to the American Academy Of Periodontology, more than 75 percent of adults over the age of 35 have some form of periodontal disease. Think there is still more to know about dental hygiene than we thought? Here are 5 game changing facts about oral health:
1. Read Your Labels- Did you know that some floss is made from teflon? (next time you purchase floss, look for the word Polytetrafluoroethylene) Or that some mouthwashes can also be used to clean the kitchen? Knowing the ingredients that are within the bristles of ones toothbrush, floss, and mouthwash are essential.
2. Bleeding Gums Means You Aren’t Flossing Enough – According to Dr. Vladana Babcic of Cameo Endodontics,there is a direct correlation between food build up in between teeth over a period of time and inflammation/cavity formation. In other words, if your gums are bleeding it is your body’s way of telling you to spend a bit more time with your favorite floss.
3. Your Teeth Can Be An Indicator Of Your Overall Health – Frequent blisters or bumps on the gums could mean diabetes, while worn down or chipped teeth are often a result of high stress. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research found that your mouth can be a mirror to show you other things going on with your body. Be sure to care for your teeth and see a professional if you see something out of the ordinary.
4. You Shouldn’t Cover Your Toothbrush – In a study done by the American Society of Microbiology, it was found that covering your toothbrush actually harbors more bacteria by not allowing your bristles to completely dry after use. Set your toothbrush as far away from your toilet and shower as possible to avoid any floating germs.
5. You Get A New Mouth Every 2-3 Weeks – It’s true—the cells that line your mouth are always dying and growing back. This cycle can help you know whether something is just a pizza burn or canker sore, or something worse.
Jump start your A+ dental care regimen this month with Boka Subscription box. Starting at $14.50 and completely customizable to fit your needs, this monthly solution will address all of the above issues and keep your dental needs in check.